The following projects are being funded by Derby Opportunity Area in 2021/22:
EY SEND and Transition –
Delivered by DEYSTA, in partnership with SDSA and Dingley’s Promise, the project provides all registered EY providers with the opportunity to access training on EY SEND Transition and/or an Introduction to EY’s Inclusive Practice. The project is also looking to expand the Transition Portal to include EY to KS1 Transition through pilot activity.
Primary School Improvement –
- Phonics, delivered by DEYTSA, centres around supporting schools to improve the teaching and learning of Phonics. through high quality CPD, review meetings and network meetings.
- English Writing and Reading, delivered by Derby Research School, provides schools with support from a team of literacy specialists to support subject leaders to develop the literacy curriculum in their setting.
- Maths Recovery Curriculum, delivered by Derby Research School, supports Derby’s maths’ leaders and non-specialists at each phase across the school setting through a journey of self-audit to develop a curriculum that covers the full mathematics national curriculum.
KS4 English and Maths
- Maths and English Networks – Half-termly sessions are organised for those leading and supporting the development of maths and English
- Boundary Leapers – direct support for Year 11 students to help prepare for English and Maths GCSEs through lessons on the most challenging aspects of Maths and English at particular grade boundaries. A series of motivational films are also available at boundaryleapers.org.uk
- CPD for Maths and English teachers – A range of training sessions have been made available based on the mapping of needs across the city’s schools
- Transition support for vulnerable Y11 students – Extra support for students for whom there are concerns about the transition from Y11 to Post 16.
- OA Phonics Hub: Secondary – A small cohort of Secondary Schools is currently involved in a case study regarding use of a specifically tailored Phonics Programme for older students. Staff have been funded to access online CPD and accompanying resources for use with students.
Leadership and Implementation Support –
- Supporting Early Career Teachers – Flying High and Spencer Teaching School Hubs have developed a two term support package for teachers 3-5 years into their careers, who have had their early career experience significantly affected by the pandemic.
- Leadership Training and TA Training – Derby Research School are offering a targeted leadership support programme and bespoke training for TAs to support schools in how we are maximising funding, supporting and developing our whole staff and diagnostically meeting the needs of our learners.
Delivered by Derby County Community Trust the project aims to increase the capacity and capability of mainstream schools to provide effective inclusion interventions and support vulnerable students. The project provides a ‘universal offer’, including Podcasts, Workshops and Webinars to help build knowledge, skills and confidence to be more inclusive, as well as ‘targeted interventions’ for schools to apply to access to support our most vulnerable children and young people, such as one to one mentoring for young people at risk of exploitation or those struggling with mental health. More information can be found on the Derby Direction website.
Now in its third year, the Our Future Derby primary careers project has been expanded across the Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham & Nottinghamshire region, and re-branded “Our Future”. This innovative programme engages primary school children in the world of work to broaden horizons, raise aspirations and open a world of greater possibilities to children, their families and their teachers. Our Future includes the delivery of career-related learning activities, school/MAT support and training, as well as access to resources and materials.
Careers and Skills
Our Careers and Skills offer extends across the D2N2 region and involves a series of programmes including :
- coordination of workplace visits across a range of key sectors;
- a virtual gaming work experience offer;
- funding for schools to achieve career mark accreditation;
- employer profile videos;
- improved accessibility of the START platform and a SEND resource zone;
- A series of mock assessment centres, LinkedIn masterclasses and speed networking sessions;
- development of a Secondary Resource Zone for our START platform, home to a careers-related teaching resources across 16 subject areas. Resources will be housed on our START in D2N2 platform
Teacher Mental Health and Wellbeing
Derby Wellbeing 365, delivered by The Art of Brilliance, offers a programme of wellbeing support for Derby’s schools and staff. This includes wellbeing programmes, INSET days, coaching, and workshops. Further details available here
A Young Leaders project which aims to ensure young people have an opportunity to be heard and influence change across the city. The project includes Training and Skills Development for a diverse group of young leaders aged 16 – 25, and equipping young people across the city to amplify their voices, influence policy and become future leaders.