In the delivery plan for Derby Opportunity Area, our Chair, Kath Mitchell, set out her vision for Derby as a centre of excellence for education and employment in Science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM) subjects. As part of that the Board has approved a fund offering grants up to a maximum of £25k for a range of activities that help schools and learning providers to improve outcomes for STEAM including:
- Providing a positive image for children and young people in STEAM subjects.
- Improving academic outcomes in STEAM subjects and especially improving outcomes for disadvantaged young people in STEAM.
- Striving for a better gender balance in children and young people following STEAM subjects.
- Engagement in additional curricular experiences in STEAM.
- Improving school and college based teaching and learning in STEAM via CPD and links with industry.
- Creating positive pathways in STEAM, for example, through STEAM information, advice and guidance for young people.
Further information about the grant fund can be found at https://www.derby.gov.uk/education-and-learning/extra-curricular-activities/stream-grants/